Sara Kurtz Allaei named IU assistant vice president for international services
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- David Zaret, Indiana University vice president for international affairs, announced the appointment of Sara Kurtz Allaei as assistant vice president for international services.
In this capacity, Allaei will report to Christopher Viers, associate vice president for international services in the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs. Allaei will work closely with Viers in providing oversight and direction around a shared services model for the university-wide provision of international admissions and student and scholar services.
Continuing in her role as executive director for the IUPUI Office of International Affairs, Allaei will work with Gil Latz, IUPUI associate vice chancellor for international affairs and IU associate vice president, to provide leadership and strategic direction in the development and delivery of key services that continue to support a growing international student population at IUPUI and more broadly, the internationalization of the IUPUI campus.
"Sara’s new role will help ensure that the services and support provided to international students and scholars across the university are well coordinated and continue to be of the highest quality," Zaret said. "Sara is a very astute administrator and brings not only a wealth of experience and expertise to this role but also a strong commitment to excellence in international student and scholar services."
Allaei has more than 26 years of service to international students and scholars at IUPUI, beginning with her appointment in 1987 as the first full-time lecturer in IUPUI’s nascent English as a Second Language Program. She joined the Office of International Affairs in 1991 as assistant director for international services, when IUPUI had only 350 international students, and was appointed director of international affairs in 2000.
Since then, IUPUI’s international enrollment has increased nearly every year, reaching a record enrollment in Fall 2013 of 1,837 students, a 15 percent increase over Fall 2012 and 27 percent over Fall 2011.
About the University Administrative Office of International Services
The University Administrative Office of International Services is committed to assisting international students and scholars in the accomplishment of their educational, personal and professional goals at IU. The office supports international students and scholars by providing a wide range of quality programs and services. These include:
- Providing accurate information and advice for prospective students and their families in order to attract, admit, enroll and retain a diverse population of qualified international students in accordance with campus policies and priorities.
- Offering ongoing orientation and other educational, cultural and social programming to facilitate the acclimation and integration of international students and scholars into the academic, cultural and social life at Indiana University and within the Bloomington community.
- Advising on and facilitating compliance with U.S. visa and immigration regulations, including maintenance of status requirements, employment authorization and travel.
- Assisting with financial matters and planning, health insurance requirements and personal issues or concerns.
- Serving as liaison with U.S. government agencies, foreign embassies and sponsors and educational foundations that support international education and exchange.
- Office 812-855-9634
- Cell 317-201-7114
- IU Office of the Vice President for International Affairs
- Office 812-856-5861