IU Maurer School of Law names 2015 Milton Stewart Fellows
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The Indiana University Maurer School of Law has announced its class of 2015 Milton Stewart Fellows, who will spend this summer working across the globe, from Brazil to India, as part of a unique program offered through the school’s Center on the Global Legal Profession.
Eighteen students have been selected to participate in the program, which offers students the opportunity to work in a variety of international settings, including corporations, nongovernmental organizations and respected law firms. Stewart Fellows are named in honor of Milton Stewart, who graduated from the law school in 1971. Stewart and his wife, Judi, were recently in Bloomington to congratulate the students on their appointments.
Professor Jayanth Krishnan, who directs the Center on the Global Legal Profession, said this year’s class pushes the total number of students who have participated in the program to nearly 80. He thanked the Stewarts for their loyalty to the law school and their commitment to educating the next generation of lawyers interested in globalization.
“The fact that these students can spend their summers in intensive, life-changing assignments is something we’re very proud of,” he said. “The Center on the Global Legal Profession was founded on the idea that an increasingly global economy demands better-trained and better-prepared attorneys, and these opportunities funded by the Stewarts and our other friends in the U.S. and around the globe are providing students hands-on experiences to see how the rest of the world operates.”
One of this year’s students, Toni Duerson, will serve both as a Stewart Fellow and as a student-scholar of the Holdeen Foundation, with an opportunity to work closely with a member of the 2013 Time 100, Vrinda Grover, who is considered one of the world’s leading human rights attorneys. Duerson will also work in the highly respected Jagori organization, an NGO that has served as a women’s resource and training center since its founding in New Delhi in 1984.
“We have seen continued growth in interest, applications and placements through this incredible program,” said Christiana Ochoa, professor of law, associate vice provost for faculty and academic affairs and leader of the Stewart Fellows Programs in Latin America. “Last year we added Argentina and Thailand to our growing list of participating countries, and we’re pleased to continue those partnerships again in 2015.”
The 2015 Stewart Fellows and the countries and organizations where they will be completing internships are:
- Javier Becerra, Kimberly Moran Izarry and Manuel Palaguachi -- Marval, O’Farrel & Mairal
- Christopher Komari and Ana Paula Luna -- Votorantim and Demarest Advogados
- James Abney -- the law firm of S&R Associates
- Teo Belli -- The Honorable Gaurav Pachnanda, Senior Supreme Court Advocate
- Abigael Bosch -- Nishith Desai Associates
- Kelsie Breit -- Law firm of Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A. Shroff & Co.
- Toni Duerson -- Jagori and the chambers of Vrinda Grover
- Rafael Macia -- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative
- Justin Mathew and Rachel Phillips -- Novus Law LLC and Koura & Co.
- Cortez Johnson -- L&J Law Office, LPC
- Adam Wolfe -- Keiwa Sogo
- Corey Rosenholtz -- Kyoba Axa
- Chris Cassella and Michael Miglio -- Tilleke & Gibbins
- IU Maurer School of Law
- Office 812-855-0156
Assistant dean for finance and administration
- Maurer School of Law
- Office 812-856-4044